Konichiwa from Okinawa, Japan! I’m Anne (pronounced Annie) Peguero, military spouse, 31 weeks pregnant, personal trainer and fitness coach. I’m thrilled to be writing for YOU and hope I can offer some insight into getting and staying in the best shape of your life while balancing a family when your spouse is deployed AND when your spouse is NOT deployed (which as we all know, can be the more challenging of the two when it comes to our nutrition and fitness) and living the military spouse dream.
Getting started is something that almost everyone who wants to make a change will struggle with at some point. How to get started frequently stands in the way of execution of any type of program. Where do I begin? How do I do this? What should I eat? What if I don’t like the gym with all of those meatheads (who, by the way, are 95% of the time very nice people)? I feel like they are all looking at me (who cares, you are hot, press on with your mission!). Are these things preventing you from being the very best you? Do you know there IS a champion– a super fit Mama/Woman/Wife or Man (yes men, this can also be applied to you) just waiting to be unleashed? Do you KNOW you have it in you to be lean, active, strong and healthy?! I’m here to help you match your outer self with your inner self. You can do this and the time is NOW.
Let me walk you through my 5 Steps to Living Fitness Success in 2013:
1. Choose a program that is sustainable for you. It’s all about implementing your training program into your already busy lives. Is it difficult to imagine adding something extra to your life? It is for most of us. That’s why choosing your program carefully and realistically will be one key to maintaining your program and contribute to your success. “And how exactly do I do this?” you ask. Try this:
– Keep a schedule. It doesn’t have to be anything sophisticated. I use my iCal and/or Google Calendar to keep all of my appointments– business and personal and I schedule time to food prep, train, go to yoga, swim or whatever fitness activity moves me on any given week. That way, I can plan to bring my workout clothes with me and train before I go to the commissary or after I meet with a client on base. Make your program work for you.
2. Set attainable goals. Write down your goals. Think about the things that keep you up at night that are burning a hole in your brain! If you could get control of these things in your life, you would be a happier, healthier person. What are those things? Get them on paper and look at them. Imagine your life if you have control of these things and if these goals are met.
3. Motivation. Are you READY to welcome change into your life? If you have been inactive and eating unhealthy you may have been telling yourself for a while that it is time to change– but ARE YOU REALLY READY TO DO IT? That is the question and it will block the door to success if you are not truly ready. Take inventory of your intentions and recognize anything that may stand in your way of being motivated to bring about positive change. You can do it! Your mind is extremely powerful!
4. Consistency. Once you have chosen your sustainable plan, set your attainable goals and devoted yourself to being motivated, all you have to do is STICK WITH IT. Easier said than done? Not if you are really ready! Stick to your program, follow through each day with your clean eating and exercise program, replace excuses with positive affirmations of success!!! Remain consistent and you will see the results of your hard work.
5. Accountability. This is where I come in. If you know you are the type of person who needs someone to hold them accountable then hire a personal trainer or fitness coach. This person MUST be a good match for you. Do your comparison shopping and pick someone who will help you with the above steps and give you the tools you need to be successful. You will get out of your program what you put into it so set yourself up for high achievement by hiring someone to hold you accountable, challenge you and help you realize your inner champion.
What are you waiting for? 2013 is right around the corner so begin making your plan for a healthy family and a healthy YOU right now. You will be so happy you did and your journey will be rewarding and fulfilling– much more so than that extra slice of holiday pie. I promise.